Help us bring our Daughter Home!

Monday, January 12, 2009

pass the jam

This little 5 year old never ceases to amazing us - he's funny - totally a character in his own right!

Over Christmas break, he came to me and told me he was hungry for a snack. I told him he could make his own peanut butter sandwich if he wanted - - he looked at me with these huge eyes and an enormous smile "Really!?" {side note: working at the pre-school has taught me that messes are OK, let them do it on their own - that is how they learn} Well, he did a great job...so well in fact that a couple days later he asked to do it again, but with peanut butter and jelly, this time Tanner asked him if he could have one too.
Carter: "Um, Mom..."
Me: "Yes?"
Carter: "Uh, Tanner....Tanner said that I make better peanut butter and jelly sandwiches than you." (totally trying to hide his smile)
Me: "Hmmm, is that so? Well look who has a new job! I guess you get to make the sandwiches for lunch now! ;)"
Fast-forward to last night. Everyone was getting ready for school the next morning. The kids were laying out their clothes, pulling out the backpacks from the weekend, filling up water bottles... Carter walks into the kitchen, opens up the pantry, pulls out the bread and PB, walks to the fridge, pulls out the jelly. Plunks it all down on the table.
Me: "Whacha doin' bud?"
Carter: "I'm making sandwiches for everyone - its my job!"
So granted, it took him four times longer than what it would have taken me and with half the mess, the peanut butter wouldn't have been double dipped with the jelly, and the bags wouldn't have been covered with sticky jelly - but they were perfect.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Bless his little heart! Are you sure he's only 5?

marisabutterworth said...

That is amazing! I'm going to teach Liam that trick!