Help us bring our Daughter Home!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

when life gives you lemons...make {lemoncello}!

I am always on the lookout for the perfect Lemoncello Martini
:: so far the Arizona Grand Resort takes the cake ::
Since its a bit hard to make the quick jaunt whenever I'm in the mood for the refreshing lemony drink I have decided to perfect the perfect Lemoncello Martini!

But first I have to perfect the {lemoncello}...
 
   Start with {9-10 lemons}
Grate the rind from the lemons using a {fine grater} ~ be careful not to get the {bitter white pith}
Add the rind to a {mason jar}


Find the highest proof {grain alcohol} your state sells
Wa. State is 151 proof. The higher proof of alcohol the better the lemons are able to release their fragrant oils
Combine the grain alcohol & lemon rinds. Seal it up and give it a good shake
~ I know, it looks yummy already -- but wait!!
{good things come to those who wait!}
Put the mason jar in a cool dark place ~ somewhere you'll remember to try to shake it up
every day for {21 days}

:: I know super long - but it WILL be worth it, I promise ::
Shaking it daily allows the oils to release from the lemon rinds. I kept mine in our coffee cabinet - since I use that daily :)
:: I don't normally have Malaria meds in there (or Typhoid in the fridge)
just waiting to go to Africa! ::
Finally - {21 days is over}! Isn't it beautiful!

For this part you'll need::
{coffee filters}
{colander}
{large bowl}
{simple syrup}
:: simple syrup ~ 2 cups boiling water. 2 cups sugar. dissolve. cool. keep up to 2 weeks sealed in the fridge ::
Line your colander with a coffee filter, slowly pour the mixture
Doesn't it look like sunshine! It smells {incredible} too!
Drained rinds ~ you could candy them if you'd like {I haven't yet}
Add {2 cups of your chilled simple syrup}. Taste it, if you'd like it sweeter add more. Adding the simple syrup will change the color from crystal clear to a creamy bright yellow!
:: sorry about the phone pic! ::
Now you have homemade Lemoncello!
Put it into a {glass container with a sealed top} & keep it chilled in the {freezer}!


Remember this is still a STRONG liquor! So be careful not to sit too close to your patio heater if you choose to sip this traditional after dinner drink on a warm summer night! :) You just might catch on fire! Better yet ~ make a martini out of it! 

My personal favorite is a Lemoncello Martini :: 
Rim your martini glass with a {wedge of lime}, then dip your glass in {fine sugar}
:: regular sugar blended in the blender, just be careful you don't over blend into powdered sugar :) ::
In a {shaker} mix
{ice}
{2 shots lemonade}
{1 shot limoncello}
{1 shot citron vodka}
{1tsp simple syrup}
{squeeze of lemon or lime}




{YUMMY}!

This is another {yummy} Lemoncello Martini
:: sorry again for the phone pic...and my daughters lovely ketchup face on her burger! :) ::
In a {shaker} mix
{ice}
{1 shot limoncello}
{1 shot lemonade}
{1 shot raspberry lemonade}
{1/2 shot citron vodka}
{1tsp simple syrup}
Rim your glass with a {lime} & {fine sugar}
{pour}

I still have some tweaking to do...but taste testing these lemoncello concoctions isn't terrible! :)
{enjoy!}


1 comment:

jennifer said...

I love you and I love this. Right up my alley and the limoncello is on the to-make list for this summer, so thanks for sharing your fav!