Help us bring our Daughter Home!

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

To the Locks we go...

Ok, So I was born and raised in Washington, granted I moved away for a few years - but that is no excuse! I have never been to the Ballard locks. And to go along with our cheap weekend theme we all piled into the mini van and headed into Ballard.
I totally thought it was going to be dumpy - don't knock it till you try it! Boy was I wrong, there is a beautiful park there! The weather was wonderful! I have to admit I was a bit worried at first - the drop down (where the water comes up) is quite intimidating - and with kids - I just cant go there. So here's the low-down on how the locks work for those that don't know: It is where the lake meets the salt water (for whatever reason the two are not at the same height...hmmm) And its a passage way for boats. The boats pull into a "little" gated area, they then close a gate behind them and fill 'er up until it's the same level as the body of water is they are about to en
ter, then they open the gate and off you go...

1 comment:

Sara said...

You've never been to the locks?!? What kind of Washingtonian are you?? :) I'm glad you had fun and I'm SO excited that you have a blog!!