Help us bring our Daughter Home!

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

And He's Off...




So, it's been almost a week since saying goodbye to my brother, and I'm just now sitting down to write about it. I'm not sure why - I think a big part of me doesn't even know what to say, and the other part of me doesn't fully want to accept the fact he's really gone. To say saying goodbye was hard would be a total understatement. I tried to play out in my head beforehand what it was going to be like, just to be prepared...I thought Haley and Tanner would have a difficult time and Carter wouldn't totally get it - well I was wrong - Tanner dealt with it by going the opposite way everyone else was feeling and was acting supper goofy - Carters the one that surprised me the most - he fell apart - like really fell apart. Watching that was heart-wrenching. What pulled him together...? Michael told him he could sleep in his bed whenever he wanted (saying this to the kid that asked him the other day "Uncle Michael - when you die, can I have your room?") I knew Haley was going to have a hard time too - and she did. Michael's girlfriend Krysta was over that night too, she could barely talk about it - I remember all too well of having to say goodbye to your boyfriend - there is nothing anyone can say that will make you feel better.
We got two quick calls from him, one at the airport, and another I think when he got to the base, he said he'd call in two weeks. He is having to have his wisdom teeth pulled and his cavities filled right away - I'm assuming they did it this past weekend. Mom, Sadie, Krysta and I are going to go to his graduation in August, so that is something to look forward too.
Moms doing ok, I think better than I thought she'd be doing. I think it helped that he was hardly home to begin with!
We miss you little bro - I know you'll do your best! We're very proud of you too!!!











1 comment:

Tracy said...

Hang in there. This is an exciting adventure for him! Call or write me if you need to. Believe me, after 25 years, I understand. :)
PS: Happy Father's Day, Chris!